After a day and a half of working on design ideas, it's started:
This will be my first shot at folded flowers, which I'm using Fantastic Fabric Folding for. You don't open up the flowers until later in the process, so I'm looking forward to that. I'm probably going to applique the whole petal down, because I'm worried about the fabric raveling.
This project has had its challenges so far, including math, design questions without obvious answers, and difficulty needling the mystery white (which I actually think might be muslin) that I found in my stash.
Here's a peek into my design process, which involves graph paper, poor drawing/coloring, and occasional swearing. I've been searching for something to do with the mostly-white squares that in this drawing contain orange peels. I don't think I want to do the orange peels, but was feeling like plain white might be too stark. I want those squares to be mostly white so that the overall design mimics the puss-in-the-corner squares in the center. For a while I was thinking that I could do white-on-white folded flowers for those squares, but I don't think I've got enough mystery white to do that, so maybe I'll just go with plain white. That would certainly speed up the process.