This quilt used the same layout as the orange one I made a couple of years ago for the older kid. Each tumbler measures 6" at the longer base and is 6" tall. I laid out all the squares on my design wall and across the couch a long time ago, then sewed the rows together and put it aside. Wish I had noticed the long run of darker reds starting in the upper right corner. There are a couple of things I'm not psyched about in terms of the layout of this one, but if I'd slowed down to contemplate all of that, it wouldn't have been done on time, so better done than perfect.
The back has three rows of half-size tumblers inserted toward the top. I like to make the back asymmetrical so that you can tell which end is the top of the quilt as you're putting it on the bed.
Like the previous one, I quilted in the ditch over the whole quilt, then echoed each ditch line twice on either side.
|Closeup of quilting on back|
For the batting I used Quilter's Dream Wool in a twin size, which had some terrible reviews on Fabric.com because of issues they seem to have had when some of their product didn't get some part of the finishing process. I used that batting in the other tumbler quilt and have been really happy with it, so I decided to give it a chance and resigned myself to ripping the quilt apart and re-doing if necessary. Luckily, it went through its first wash just fine, and I don't anticipate any problems with it. It's a pretty high loft and is very warm, and the orange quilt has broken in very nicely.
Tune in next time for a finished baby quilt. Here's a little preview of what I'm working on now: