So eventually I finished a twin-size quilt in two weeks or something, then scrapped this whole thing and started over with something HAPPY, GOD DAMN IT:
Much better! Probably. Whatever, I don't even know anymore. The world was looking like this at the time:
Which is cool for a Dour-Peoples-on-the-third-moon-of-Jupiter vibe for a day or two, but we were on about month 4 of the whole thing and I needed some orange and pink.
And then I needed to scrape together some spending money for the backing fabric, because while I had some pieces big enough (and, come to think of it, could have just pieced something that would have looked okay), the colors weren't right.
|Turns out the print on the backing is verrrry light.|
I'm developing a huge stack of charm squares for making more of these simple little baby quilts, and along with this backing I bought several other longer bits that should make nice backings for other such quilts. These quilts are just under a yard wide, so about a yard and a quarter is enough to back one with some fabric left over. Leftovers are very important for several grandiose plans that are hatching.
I handed this one off to one of the happy parents well after the little one showed up, as unceremoniously as ever. (I worked for many hours on this! Then I put it in a paper bag! Here!) I'm not sure it's to the parents' taste, but it is a) not the color of mud, and b) at least more cohesive than that first attempt, so.