2.16.2020

Quilts

Progress on the Bright Birches has been plodding along:


I started with all scraps, then realized that my yellow fabrics are way outnumbered by other colors.  Road tripped for more yellow and got a nice assortment using some of my gift card AND a nice discount I've been saving up.  

Each color placement is pretty carefully considered - for color distribution and value and size balance.  It occurred to me that I could probably get away with considering less, but I'm enjoying it, so I'll keep on this way.  


Then, yesterday, the need to outfit a new office arose, and I ditched the baby raccoon cross-stitch and the bright birches for something completely different (for the moment).   I want something that won't overwhelm with personality or the bright, saturated, clear colors that I prefer, and I had a vague memory of a "butterfly" quilt that was white squares with colored triangle corners.  Hunting that down was a bit of a task, but I finally found this quilt from 2010, and it's right on the money what I remembered.  


This is how I left it last night, but upon thinking about it, I planned to tone down the busy-ness of the neutrals, replacing several of these with plain white squares.  Then I visited the office, which currently has a beige rug and a forest-green loveseat and matching chair, as well as a kind of seafoam chair.  So I think I'll ditch the blue for the corners and go with a batik that's been in my stash so long you could probably call it vintage, which ranges from a dark green to a light teal and has white-ish, resist-looking flowers.  I think I'll throw in some red and yellow, because that room does need to be livened up a bit.  The walls are a light tan, and there's a lot of wall space.  

I have some crafting time, so there should be good progress on this today.  

Happy crafting!

No comments: