12.28.2019

And finally, a quest.

And now here is a blog post I've been writing in my head for 14 months. 

The Yarn Harlot wrote, wisely, several years ago about how you can tell a hand knitter by their utterly mismatched accessories, and until now I have embodied that exactly.  How does a person make 20 projects spanning mittens, neckwear, and hats and have NONE of them match?  Like, at all?  Okay, I have a shawl that looks okay with a pair of mittens, if you don't look too closely. 

Well.  No more.  Because I'm going to make projects that will complete a set with already-existing objects.  It's genius.  (I just misspelled genius on the first try.  Okay, two tries.) 

Contestants:

These mittens.  They are nice and bright without showing all the grime that immediately gets on one's hands as one navigates winter in the snowy North.  They also kind of go with a handspun shawl I made a couple years ago that is screaming pink and orange.  They are also not yet worn through at the thumb, which is more than I could say about SOME mittens (they know who they are).  And I have half a skein of each of these colors left that could make a very nice colorwork hat. 


This hat.  Have I not introduced you to Spooks yet?  Spooks is my head model, so named because the children find her spooky.  That may have had something to do with the fact that their father immediately, upon meeting Spooks, stuck her on a broomstick, turned off all the lights, and lit her from below for the children to come upon after their bath*. 

Anyway, this hat is from my handspun Nest merino something or other, and there's half a ball left that could make some lovely fingerless mitts or part of a cowl, paired with a solid.  That pattern is Norby, which I don't find makes a super-warm hat for the depths of winter, but does make a very nice fall hat.  

Hat not pictured, but if you've spent time on Rav, you'd know it.  It's that Easy Ombre Slouch Hat that fades nicely from one color to the next, and it's in Loden and Neutral Slightly Darker than Off-White, and it is possible to order more.  That was a gift from Mom, and it may be my favorite hat and it's nice and warm and soft.  

And Surprise Mystery Contestant, All New Things!


For Christmas, this happened, this being Ankara Green Malabrigo Rios.  (Thanks, Mom!)  My stars, it is so pretty.  The photo is not exactly correct, it's more of a greeny turquoise, and I love it and my choice is probably going to be something two-color-brioche (is that redundant?) and something necky and maybe some colorwork hand things.  

If I excel in 2020, there will be more than one matching set of things in which I can leave the house not looking like a proficient yet colorblind knitter.  There will also hopefully be more than just two finished quilts, and a bunch of other stuff, too.  

Wishing you the best for 2020.  Happy crafting!




*
Aieeeeee!

No comments: