7.03.2016

Progress Post: 100

The quilt I'm working on now is for a centennial celebration for a local organization.  They're asking for any artwork on the theme of "100."  I kicked this around in my head for a long time before the design appeared, nearly fully-formed.  

I've ordered two more fabrics that will go in, but here's how it's looking right now:


There are 100 different fabrics in the colorful block.  At first I was worried that I may not have enough individual fabrics to do 100 squares without repeating, but... yeah, that wasn't a problem.  The little squares finish at 1", and not wanting to piece all that traditionally, I took a look at something that had stuck with me for a long time: this tutorial on using fusible interfacing to quick-piece little squares.  I didn't have interfacing and was looking for something that would be less rigid, so I worked with a piece of muslin and a glue stick. 

First rows
That worked just fine, although it's also pretty rigid.  This likely won't be a problem, because it will probably be used only as a wallhanging.  It may soften up after the glue washes out, too.  After the first row, I learned to leave the tiniest sliver of daylight between rows to allow for folding.  Not sure yet how I'm going to quilt it.  Maybe diagonal lines, I do love a good crosshatch.  

Happy crafting! 

No comments: