Here's the initial sketch - I grouped colors (dk pink, red-purple, blue-purple, and blue) into hexagons first.
Then I scrambled them a bit, switching triangles with neighboring triangles. I was going for a semblance of order but not completely - I wanted it a bit mixed up, too. Off-balance.
Sewing this many triangles together never would've happened if it were the only project I was working on. It was the leaders-and-enders project for a long time. I've since started putting a pin into the block/triangle/fabric piece that goes on the left as I chain-piece, in order to keep the order straight as I go, which helps a lot.
My initial plan for this quilt involved more stuff on top, but at the very last minute I decided that it was too much, and this should just be a triangle quilt. I also toyed with adding black squares all along the ends of the rows so that I could have straight edges without cutting it down, but punted on that, too.
With the edges cut down, the top just barely fit onto both the backing and a spare piece of batting I had. I safety-pin basted yesterday and have spent a lot of time quilting today.
|See the bird?|
The obvious quilting plan was to quilt 1/4" from the edges of all the triangles and horizontal seams, but that just wasn't speaking to me. So instead, I decided to emphasize the hexagons and am quilting 1/4" from the edges of the original hexagons in thread that matches most of the colors of that hexagon. Only doing that would not have been quite enough quilting for the batting, so I'm also quilting in the ditch across the horizontal axis of each hexagon. (I tried to figure out a way to stitch over every seam in the hexagon without tracing over any, and if there's a way to do it, I haven't found it.)
I've done the pink and blue hexagons, and will work on the blue-purple next. Don't have any red-purple thread, so I may try to pick some up in town tomorrow. Am hoping that this will be my next finish, and soon.