My theme of untenably-large gauge, plus foolish continued refusal to swatch or even measure gauge, continued to bite me in the ass this Christmas.
I planned to make for the males in my family (a father and two brothers) colorwork hats out of Telemark. The first hat I whipped out over about a weekend, not counting some subway knitting of the lining.
It came out pretty large (SURPRISE), so I decided that that one would go to my Dad, whom it would be most likely to fit.
Mods: Took out one 10-row repeat and left off most of the bottom stripes.
Here is a positively terrible picture of it:
It does actually fit okay.
Second, I decided to make each of my brothers a We Call Them Pirates hat. Unfortunately, I made this decision after I'd knit the Charcoal and one of the Cream skeins into most of another Ufserud hat. Turns out sitting in a hospital room is also an excellent place to frog.
There was much more frogging of pirate-ness, but I ended up with these two (terribly photographed, and in one case, not yet blocked) hats eventually:
(Cream and Charcoal, pattern knit reading chart correctly)
(Cream and Black, pattern knit reading chart incorrectly)
- Read the directions about which color represents which yarn in the chart before knitting the entire hat.
- Try to finish gift knitting before the sun starts rising on Christmas morning.
- I really need to just assume that I should go down a needle size or two with colorwork. Because it only takes three data points to indicate a trend, and I got about 17 data points. Use smaller needles, already, self, jeez.
Pattern: Fireside Stocking, by Kate Gilbert
Yarn: Knit Picks Palette, held double
Mods: Knit cuff-down instead of toe-up
I started working on this around September, and was done with it before December, I think. I knit it on a 16" size 5 circular, although the pattern might have called for dpns.
Here's a closeup of what I did for the hanger:
The pattern called for a single i-cord, which seemed inadequate to the job of keeping this sucker up, so I braided three i-cords together in the lightest, middle, and darkest colors. It was kind of hard to anchor in the corner of the top. I didn't want it to distort the edge, or stretch weirdly, and it wasn't going to be completely flush with the body of the stocking, even with jamming the sucker through a stitch and then trying to sew it to the inside of the lining. I ended up doing that and then wrapping it tightly a zillion times with a strand of the bare yarn, and I think that actually worked pretty well.
I knew the instant that I saw the pattern however long ago that I would eventually make this for Mom.
Finally, a closeup of one square in the sunshine:
I'm going to go several months without thinking about Christmas 2010.