3.09.2008

Moving On

After finishing the second ridiculously long single rib scarf in four months, my life became a desolate, lonely, empty wasteland. I became unsure about what my values were, and I felt my identity slowly melting back into the void. With the little strength and motivation that remained, I bleakly cast on for some Super Easy Legwarmers.



Ah! All better, tra la la. Sweet Single Rib eases the feeling of impending existential doom.

But for serious, I am loving these legwarmers. When I put the mohair (Crystal Palace Kid Merino) next to the Cascade 220 Quatro (color 5016) for the first time yesterday (terrible, considering I've had both for months with the intent to use them together) I kind of thought "ew." The mohair shade is a lot cooler than the kee-razy purple/pink of the Cascade. But knit up, it's pleasantly blendy and fluffy. These suckers are going to be warm.

I took Emily's excellent advice, and cast on some Endpaper Mitts:



And I'm loving them. I've done colorwork before - Ufserud is languishing, needle-less, in the UFO pile, though, so I've yet to actually complete colorwork. But, working with a yarn from each hand wasn't a completely new concept for me, and I'm getting more proficient at it. That's a really nice feeling.

This yarn is Louet Gems Fingering in Cream and Dream in Color Smooshy in Deep Seaflower. I got 3 skeins of the Smooshy with a Clapotis in mind, and expected to have enough left over for a pair of socks. The Smooshy goes really really far, I've found, so I still may get some socks out of it, too, once the Clapotis is done.

Funny that when the Clapotis and Endpaper Mitts came out, I liked them but had no intention of ever making them. Then in the fall, I woke up one morning and found myself wishing I had a Clapotis to wear. Surprising, but I went with it. Same deal for the Endpaper Mitts -- no desire to do such teeny colorwork, but then when my hands started freezing at work, they were all I could think about.

If you're looking for stuff to do on Ravelry, try the Endpaper Mitts gallery. The color combinations are endlessly entertaining.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love your mitts so far - they look great! I really need to try some of this Smooshy sock yarn everyone is raving about...