5.01.2007

Chevron Scarf

A first attempt:



I was doing the decrease/increase rows with what I wanted to be the secondary color, the lighter Spring Fling, but that ended up kind of making it the primary color -- which you might be able to see in the awful, awful picture above.

So I switched it up:



and I like this much better. The Spring Fling is traveling from side to side nicely, but the Fairgrounds is not, which is resulting in lengthwise pools of orange-ish, dark green, and raspberry-ish. I'm trying to tighten up my gauge a bit and force it to move, but if this goes on much further, there might be some frogging.

Wow. Just while the pictures were loading, I started knitting a little tighter, and voila. They just can't drive 55. They're rolling rawhide.

I will NOT go down a needle size (like hell I'm knitting these on 4s, 5s are bad enough for a 77" scarf), and while manually changing your gauge doesn't seem to be an all-that-popular way of dealing with pooling here in blogland, it really works for me. And, now that I think about it, I realize that I have kind of been knitting the two colors differently anyway - when I do the straight across rows, I brace the end of the needle I knit onto against my leg and move the other needle and the yarn over top of it (if that makes any sense at all). This generally leads to a tighter gauge. I knit looser when I move both needles as I work, so this is really just bringing everything in line.

A word about the colors: this is not turning out how I'd expected. The Fairgrounds looks pretty different than what I pictured from my monitor(s) - it's a bit darker. I'd originally been planning to use Fairgrounds with Rocktober, and my discipline in yarn-buying rewarded me with Rocktober being discontinued before I got any of it. So I went with these two colorways because they appeared to be similar colors, just with different values. But not so much.

I'm withholding judgment for now. The colors do remind me of the sorts of colors that are used together in vintage quilts - something about the combinations, perhaps. Pastels with yellow-y darker colors. The dusk-time picture above shows the relationships of the colors accurately, but they are more vibrant than they appear there.

No comments: