So, I've embarked on a project that is clearly going to take a long time. This is a particularly straightforward journey, though, because I'm working off of a pattern and templates that I didn't create.
This is the first several pieces of The Elephant Abstractions quilt, the kit for which was a birthday present this year. And the finished quilt will be for my dad, who really loves elephants. I finished Template #11 today, and there are... 97 total. So, woo, only 86 to go! Plod, plod, plod.
I had never ever paper-pieced before, so there has been a learning curve. Happily, using solids means that I don't have to keep front-side/back-side straight, because I guarantee I would have ripped out more than one seam by now if that weren't the case. Sadly, until the last seam is sewn, I will be worried about running out of fabric, even though I'm sure that the amount of waste in this process was taken into account by the designer, and I could almost certainly track down more of what I needed, because I didn't sit on the kit for 20 years (why, hello, experience, thank you for letting me learn from you!).
So, I hope to be pretty faithful to this project, which means the next several months will probably be more of the same picture above and a faint counting sound in the background. Maybe I'll buy some fabric occasionally in order to have something else to talk about. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Why, here's some right now:
More birthday gifts! Mostly Connecting Threads, several backing quantities, a background yellow for The Elephant (custard), and a banner print that was on clearance at Hawthorne Threads. My husband finds the banner print deeply pleasing, so I plan to figure out some sort of patchwork thing that will work for a quilt for him. (I'm thinking a checkerboard of different-colored solids.)
Hope to get Template #12 in the can tonight, then onward to 13.