9.16.2010

Talk about socks

We're welcoming more socks to the family. First, stockinette socks in Knit Picks Felici Sport in Sorcery:

These are for Mom - 60 sts on 2.5mm (size 1 or 1 1/2, depending on who you ask), some 2x1 ribbing at the top, long-ish heel flaps. For some reason before I touched the Felici Sport, I imagined it to be on the rough side. Not so. It's very soft, and the plies separate easily and it knits like butter. Lovely.



These are Jules socks in Patons FX, colorway Clover, over 64 sts on size 1 (2.25mm) needles. Lots of failing to follow the pattern and frogging, but frogging is bothering me less and less. I went well over 2 skeins, and I think you can kind of tell on the soles where I switched to a new skein. The slip-rib pattern on the top of the sock hides the transition pretty well, as does the overall nature of the color changing.

Right now sock-knitting is fitting into my life as something that fills in the cracks and doesn't get too much attention of its own. This is also coming at a time when I've got an awesome new sock book (thanks, Mom!), New Pathways for Sock Knitters, to explore and the nagging sense that my stash of sock yarn should really be used on intricate, more difficult, and attention-requiring patterns, rather than simple stockinette or rib or a repeat of a pattern I've already done. I also have a nice, long KP size 1 needle with which to try Magic Loop, as well as the 9" size 1 bamboo circ to try out. And a mile-long list of patterns I've been wanting to try out.

I guess what I'm saying is that I should really give some time to starting new sock projects. At the same time, I don't want to completely give in to that nagging feeling, because I actually deeply love knitting plain-ish socks.

No comments: