3.03.2008

Socks, socks, stuff

My knitting efforts have been largely reduced to ball-winding and dreams these days. Well, and knitting -- plodding through the end of Gimme Scarf, which should be done here soon, with a bit o' winter left to enjoy it. And two finished pairs of socks:



Yarn: Knit Picks Felici in the Arugula colorway
Pattern: plain stockinette over 72 stitches
Needles: Size 0 Harmony

These socks were knit mostly in the dark; cuff #1 was Juno and The Savages, and cuff #2 was There Will Be Blood and License to Wed. One of those last two easily qualifies as the greatest movie I've ever seen -- I'll let you guess which. Oh, and with these I discovered that my in-the-dark gauge may actually be different than my with-sufficient-light gauge. Weird.



Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy in the Giant Peach colorway
Pattern: Charade
Needles: Size 1 Knit Picks nickel-plated
Modifications: my own heel and toe, co 68 instead of 64

These were super-fun reward socks, which guarantees what feels like a breakneck pace. But while I felt that these were finished in no time at all, they actually took about a month.

I wore these this week, and while the Smooshy is lovely, I'm having doubts about its purpose as a sock yarn; the best way to describe the ball of the foot after one wear is "smashed." I'm definitely withholding judgment for now, but am planning a couple non-sock projects with the Smooshy in the near future.

I love how this yarn worked with the Charade pattern, and find that stitch pattern to be terribly clever. I can confirm Ravelry reports that it is less stretchy than a regular rib.



This gorgeous thing is a skein of mediumweight STR in Fred Flintstone. I got it through a swap with a generous Raveler and have been planning to make some Swirl socks with it, but after winding it up, two things are blocking my path. 1) This yarn should be knit in the month of November, and no other time, and 2) This yarn should be paired with Sunstone and made into a Chevron Scarf. Yarn doesn't normally speak to me like this (so forcefully!) so I've put it aside and am eyeing it warily from time to time.

Up next are more socks, though I'm not sure which yet, a Clapotis, and some Endpaper Mitts. What's at the top of your queue?

1 comment:

Emily said...

My queue is chaotic mess of disorganization - there's just too much to knit! If I were you I'd go with the Endpaper Mitts first - more instant gratification (my Clapotis took forever...