Yarn: Artyarns Supermerino
Needles: Size 8 Crystal Palace bamboo circs (not the type called for, but whatever, it worked
Modifications: no purposeful ones
Because of my own staggering inability to estimate or count, getting this going took forever. First I got toward the end of casting on and ran out of tail to cast on with. Then I cast on for two fewer stitches than were called for, and realized it at the end of the first row. Then I couldn't execute a double rib to save myself. Once I got past the first two rows, it was fine, but that took way too long. The pattern itself is clever and easy to follow.
The pattern calls for a yarn that will happily bounce back into shape. And while I read every day about the behavior of specific yarns, I really had no idea what kind of yarn to choose for such a goal. So I went with the Artyarns Supermerino, in a colorway I'd had my eye on for a long time, and it turned out to be a really great substitution. This is like no yarn I'd ever worked with before - it really has a mind of its own, by which I mean it was rather stiff (while still being soft). When I was trying to count my cast-on stitches, some fell off the end and sproinged right out of the loops. (This might be why I ended up two short.) There was no pooling, flashing, or any other variegated-yarn-problems.
I wore it all day today (I work in what might as well be an iceberg), and though I felt a bit silly sporting any kind of fashionable anything, it did keep my noggin nice and toasty. It's not as warm outside as a hat would be, though.
If I ever knit this pattern again, I will probably cast on fewer stitches and adjust the number of pattern repeats accordingly.